Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) for the proposed METRO Blue Line Light Rail Transit (BLRT) Extension Project
The Metropolitan Council (Council) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) issued a Final Environmental Impact Statement (Final EIS), Amended Draft Section 4(f) and Section 6(f) Evaluation, USACE Section 404 permit application, and Section 106 Memorandum of Agreement for the proposed BLRT Extension project. The proposed BLRT Extension project is approximately 13 miles of a new light rail transit line proposed as an extension of the METRO Blue Line (Hiawatha LRT). It will operate from downtown Minneapolis through the communities of Golden Valley, Robbinsdale, Crystal, and Brooklyn Park. The Project’s Draft EIS was published in March 2014.
Since the completion of the Draft EIS, the proposed BLRT Extension project team developed and evaluated 16 technical segment-specific and system-wide issues, including proposed adjustments to accommodate local goals and objectives, improve the performance of the proposed light rail extension, reduce project costs, and avoid or minimize adverse environmental impacts. The Final EIS evaluates the No-Build Alternative and the proposed BLRT Extension project (Preferred Alternative). The proposed alignment includes 11 new light rail stations, approximately 1,670 additional park-and-ride spaces, accommodations for passenger drop-off, and bicycle and pedestrian access, as well as new or restructured local bus route connection stations to nearby residential, commercial, and educational land uses.
The Final EIS documents the following:
Comments on the adequacy of the Final EIS may be submitted in writing to Kathryn O’Brien (contact information below) through August 15, 2016. Following the review period and consideration of the comments received on the adequacy of the Final EIS, a Federal Record of Decision and Minnesota State Adequacy Determination are anticipated. The Record of Decision and Adequacy Determination will document the Council’s and FTA’s final decision regarding the environmental phase of the Project.
- Purpose and need for the proposed BLRT Extension project;
- Alternatives considered;
- Anticipated impacts that will result from implementing the proposed BLRT Extension project, including avoidance, minimization and mitigation measures;
- Description of the proposed BLRT Extension project’s public involvement and agency coordination;
- The proposed BLRT Extension project’s proposed finance plan; and,
- Responses to comments received during the Draft EIS comment period.
The Final EIS; including the Amended Draft Section 4(f) and Section 6(f) Evaluation, USACE Section 404 permit application, and Section 106 Memorandum of Agreement, and all appendices; is available online at http://metrocouncil.org/blrt/feis.
The Final EIS is also available at the locations listed below. A CD of the Final EIS is available upon request.
To request special accommodations, contact Dan Pfeiffer, Blue Line Extension LRT Assistant Public Involvement Manager, at 612-373-3897 or Daniel.email@example.com at least ten days prior to the end of the comment period.
- Osseo Library: 412 Central Avenue, Osseo, MN 55369
- Osseo City Hall: 415 Central Avenue, Osseo, MN 55428
- Maple Grove Library: 8001 Main Street North, Maple Grove, MN 55369
- Maple Grove Government Center and Public Safety Facility: 12800 Arbor Lakes Parkway North, Maple Grove, MN 55311
- Brooklyn Park Library: 8500 W Broadway Ave, Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
- Brooklyn Park City Hall: 5200 85th Avenue North, Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
- Brookdale Library: 6125 Shingle Creek Parkway, Brooklyn Center, MN 55346
- New Hope City Hall: 4401 Xylon Avenue North, New Hope, MN 55428
- Rockford Road Library: 6401 42nd Avenue North, Crystal, MN 55427
- Crystal City Hall: 4141 Douglas Drive North, Crystal, MN 55422
- Blue Line Extension Project Office: 5512 West Broadway Avenue, Suite 200, Crystal, MN 55428
- Robbinsdale City Hall: 4100 Lakeview Avenue North, Robbinsdale, MN 55422
- Golden Valley Library: 830 Winnetka Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55427
- Golden Valley City Hall: 7800 Golden Valley Road, Golden Valley, MN 55427
- North Regional Library: 1315 Lowry Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55411
- Sumner Library: 611 Van White Memorial Boulevard, Minneapolis, MN 55411
- Hennepin County Library – Minneapolis Central: Government Documents, 2nd Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401
- Minneapolis City Hall: 350 South 5th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- Metropolitan Council Library: 390 Robert Street North, St. Paul, MN 55101
- Minnesota Department of Transportation Library: 395 John Ireland Boulevard, St. Paul, MN 55155
- Legislative Reference Library: 645 State Office Building, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, St. Paul, MN 55115
Responsible Governmental Unit:
Kathryn O’Brien, Assistant Director, Environmental and Agreements
Metro Transit – Blue Line Extension Project Office
5512 West Broadway Avenue, Suite 200
Crystal, MN 55428