Brooklyn Park Sanitary Sewer Improvement Project
Project Update - February 14, 2020. See Project Updates below.
To receive project updates via email or text, sign up using the E-newsletter/SMS subscription form on the right.
Project Update - February 14, 2020 (PDF)
Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES) is making improvements to aging and deteriorating regional sanitary sewer facilities that serve homes and businesses in the city of Brooklyn Park. The two project sites are located in Brooklyn Park on Mississippi Ln. and Riverview Ln. At each site, we will rehabilitate or replace the regional sanitary sewer pipe and maintenance holes.
- Riverview Lane Site: The Riverview Lane site is located on 88th Ave., West River Rd., and Riverview Ln., between 88th Ave. and 83rd Ave. Work will include installing a liner inside the existing MCES sewer pipe using a process called Cured-in-Place Pipe (CIPP). Construction crews will also replace maintenance holes and install local city sanitary sewer pipe. Construction is expected to take about 12 months between spring 2020 and spring 2021. Restoration will follow in summer 2021.
- Mississippi Lane Site: The Mississippi Lane site is located on Riverview Ln., 81st Ave., and Mississippi Ln. between 83rd Ave. and Brookdale Dr. Work will include excavating in order to remove and replace the wastewater sewer pipe, maintenance holes, part of the city water main, and local city sewer pipe. Construction is expected to take about 12 months between winter 2019-2020 and spring 2021. Restoration will follow in summer 2021.
What to Expect
While we do our best to minimize impacts during construction, some temporary inconveniences may occur as work takes place. Here is what to expect:
- Mississippi Ln. and Riverview Ln. will be closed to through traffic during construction. Designated detours will be posted. Access will be maintained for all residents on both sites.
- Temporary, one-day driveway closures when temporary wastewater conveyance pipes are installed and removed from under driveways on the West River Road trail.
- The West River Rd. trail will be closed for up to 18 months during the project.
- Part of Jewell Park will be closed during construction. The playground, park building, and parking lot will remain open.
- Temporary mailbox relocation for some residents.
- Temporary water and wastewater service disruption for some residences along both sites. Residents will be notified in advance of any service disruption.
- Noise, vibrations, lights, and odors associated with wastewater pipe access and the CIPP lining process. Some of this work will occur overnight. (Keep water in all drain traps to help contain odors in the pipes.)
- Restoration of any disturbed road surface and landscape after construction is complete.
Project Update - February 4, 2020 (PDF)
Project Update - January 15, 2020 (PDF)
Project Update - December 18, 2019 (PDF)
Project Information Sheet - November 25, 2019 (PDF)
Project Manager: Jeny Baroda, Principal Engineer, Interceptor Engineering
Council's Authorized Representative: Sarah Hachey, Principal Contract Administrator, Construction Services