After months of public engagement, the METRO Purple Line bus rapid transit project is advancing 12 station locations for further evaluation in Route Modification Study Phase II. During engagement over the summer, many community members supported the proposed station locations and 63% of people surveyed wanted to prioritize faster service, rather than more frequent stations.
On September 13, the project's Corridor Management Committee concurred with the project staff recommendation to advance 12 proposed Purple Line station locations along White Bear and Maryland avenues for purposes of further technical evaluation and community engagement.
The number of stations and station platform locations will not be finalized until the committee makes a recommendation on a preferred roadway and transit design concept, currently anticipated for March 2024.
Summer 2023 engagement focused on the White Bear and Maryland route option. Between May and August, METRO Purple Line project staff solicited input from residents, business owners, and other stakeholders about existing conditions and potential station locations on new proposed route option. The project team engaged with the community and stakeholders through:
- 27 stakeholder and business meetings/presentations
- 25 community event pop-ups and project hosted events
- Canvassing businesses around Maryland Ave and White Bear Ave
- Project updates via website, social media, newsletters, and new releases
- Paper and online surveys
- Online interactive feedback map
- Translated materials
Join project staff for a corridor walk
Join project staff for a round of corridor walks in October to discuss what’s working well today and what could be improved along Maryland and White Bear avenues. This is an opportunity to review design considerations, constraints, and opportunities for bus rapid transit along the corridor and ask questions.
Each date will cover an approximately one-mile section of the corridor on either Maryland or White Bear Avenue but will focus on key points of interest among participants. All are welcome.
- White Bear Ave. between 11th/Gervais and Beam Ave., Wednesday, Oct. 4
- White Bear Ave. between Maryland and Larpenteur Ave., Friday, Oct. 6
- White Bear Ave. between Larpenteur Ave. and Gateway Trail, Tuesday, Oct. 10
- White Bear Ave. between Gateway Trail and Highway 36, Thursday, Oct. 12
- Maryland Ave., Saturday, Oct. 14
Corridor walk times, registration, updates, and contact information