MEETING OF THE
METROPOLITAN AREA WATER SUPPLY TECHNICAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE (TAC)
Wednesday | October 24, 2018 | 1:00 PM
New Brighton City Council Chambers, 803 Old Hwy 8 NW, New Brighton MN 55112
|Mark Maloney, Chair
||City of Shoreview
||City of Bloomington
||City of Richfield
||City of Eden Prairie
||City of Minneapolis
||University of Minnesota
||Department of Health
||City of Apple Valley
||USGS & Legislative Water Commission
||Pollution Control Agency
||City of Ramsey
||City of Woodbury
||Department of Natural Resources
PURPOSE & OUTCOMES
The purpose of this meeting is to provide information to members about water efficiency, Master Water Supply Plan water efficiency goals, and the current and proposed work to achieve those goals. This information will help provide background to further discuss ideas and projects to address the region’s issues with data collection.
Desired outcomes include:
- Support of Metropolitan Council Water Supply Planning Department’s request to the Clean Water Council
- TAC member support of proposed project to better understand challenges associated with Water Supply Data and opportunities to improve the data.
1:00 CALL TO ORDER
1:05 APPROVAL OF AGENDA
1:07 APPROVAL OF MINUTES
July 25, 2018
minutes of the Water Supply Technical Advisory Committee (TAC)
1:10 MAWSAC UPDATE
TAC will be updated about the August 21 and October 16 MAWSAC meetings.
Welcome two new TAC members. Staff to discuss plan to fill open TAC position.
1. Water Efficiency Overview - Dave Brown, Metropolitan Council
Information about water efficiency and the related Master Water Supply Plan (MWSP) goals will be presented. Current and potential work to achieve these goals will be discussed.
2. Clean Water Fund - Ali Elhassan, Metropolitan Council
- Water Efficiency Grant program
- Twin City Lawn Irrigation Efficiency Study
- Water Efficiency Potential - Excel tool that allows utilities to determine whether subsidizing water efficiency programs can reduce water demand enough to postpone or eliminate water infrastructure (well) costs.
Presentation on importance of Clean Water Council's support and funding of Council's work/projects that support water supply planning in the region.
3. Quick Review of 7/25/18 Water Data Challenges Discussion
Regional water efficiency goals
4. Possible Approaches to Data Challenges
- Background on MWSP daily gallons per person metrics.
- Both regional and local projects help towards both regional and local goals.
- Challenges with the available data
- Project idea: Water Supply Information Template - Southwest presentation
- TAC member discussion: Council staff will lead the group in a discussion on proposed project as a first step to address data challenges
- Creating a White Paper to address data challenges: Presentation on "Creating a White Paper"
3:30 Updates from Members
MAWSAC members may provide updates on activities they are involved in that other members should be aware of in their own work.
3:45 Meeting Review and Upcoming TAC Meetings
Dave Brown, Metropolitan Council
1. Feedback about today’s meeting
2. Next meeting date and future meetings
* Additional materials included for items on published agenda
** Additional business items added following publication of agenda
*** Backup materials available at the meeting