Metropolitan Wastewater Treatment Plant Rehabilitation and Facility Improvements
MCES Projects No. 805990 and 808921
This project will rehabilitate structures and roads around the Metropolitan Wastewater Treatment Plant in Saint Paul, MN and make improvements to processes inside and nearby the plant.
Inside the Metropolitan Wastewater Treatment Plant, this project includes:
- Concrete Rehabilitation: Repair deteriorated concrete inside process tanks and channels.
- Primary Settling Tanks Renewal: Replace existing sludge collectors that are close to end of service life with improved construction material.
- Solids Storage Pads Improvements: Repair and reconstruct two solid pads with pad drainage improvements.
- Closed Loop Cooling Retrofit: Install closed-loop cooling systems for two air compressor systems. Closed-loop cooling will reduce the use of groundwater at the plant by 33%.
- Other Miscellaneous Construction Items
- Rehabilitate plant road segments
- Inspect South St. Paul forcemain
- Renew water piping
- Replace Compressor Building tile
Figure 1: Map of Metropolitan Wastewater Treatment Plant, where much of the project will take place.
Outside of the Metropolitan Wastewater Treatment Plant, this project includes:
- Headhouse Improvements: Replace deteriorated grating.
- Air Jumper Improvements: Install a drain pump.
Figure 2: Location of two project work areas outside of the plant, near Warner Road and Childs Road in Saint Paul.
Substantial completion of the project is tentatively scheduled for October of 2024, with the final completion following in December of 2024.
Project Manager: Michael Nguyen, Senior Engineer, Plant Engineering
Council’s Authorized Representative: Mike Olerich, Principal Contract Administrator, Construction Services
Assistant Council’s Authorized Representative: Robert Gruenhagen, Contract Administrator, Construction Services