Due to COVID-19, we are not offering any tours of our wastewater plants through March 2022.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Treatment plant tours
Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES) operates the regional wastewater collection and treatment system that serves 111 communities in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul metro area.
Every day, our nine treatment plants treat approximately 250 million gallons of wastewater to protect public health and the environment.
Several of our treatment plants offer a limited number of tours each month to show the general public how the water they use from nature is cleaned and safely returned to the environment.
Visitors see the various ways pollutants are removed from wastewater, replicating nature’s own processes, but in a much-condensed time frame. They also may see how wastewater solids are processed so that they can be beneficially reused, and how energy is recovered along the way to power our treatment plants.
Can’t join us for a tour?
We’re sorry that you can’t join us at a plant, but you can enjoy an animated tour of the treatment process at the Metropolitan Wastewater Treatment Plant by visiting our Wastewater Treatment for Kids page. There you can find a fun video and presentation about the water cycle, how we use water, and how we clean it and return it to the environment to be used again!
Wastewater Treatment for Kids
- Tours are free.
- Tours are available during business hours, Monday to Friday.
- Reservations must be made at least 4-5 weeks in advance.
- Tours are about 90-120 minutes long, beginning with an orientation video and ending with a question-and-answer session.
- The age minimum for tour participants is seventh grade.
- The minimum group size is 10 people; maximum is 30.
- Larger groups will be considered based on staff availability.
- There should be one teacher/chaperone for every 10 students. Tours guides are the employees who operate and manage the plants. They provide a thorough, step-by-step explanation of wastewater treatment.
- To request a speaker, contact Britni Kesselring at Britni.Kesselring@metc.state.mn.us.
Scheduling a tour
Contact Britni Kesselring at Britni.Kesselring@metc.state.mn.us with the following information:
If we're able to accommodate your tour request, we'll send you a confirmation letter, our Plant Tour Safety and Security Rules, and additional information.
- Contact name and phone number
- Company or organization name and phone number
- Mailing and e-mail addresses
- Requested date, time, and treatment plant
- Number of visitors and teachers/chaperones
- If you require any special accommodations for mobility or other disabilities, please include this in your email.