The Council’s role as the region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)
requires that major transit projects within the region are coordinated, to accommodate projected growth and use public resources wisely and cost-effectively. Priorities and projects are outlined in the Transportation Policy Plan
The Council works closely with local, state, and federal agencies to improve transit throughout the region, and provides transitway guidelines
to help ensure consistency in projects throughout the regional transitway system.
Recent transit projects now operating
Projects in engineering or construction
- C Line – Penn Avenue bus rapid transit – A bus rapid transit line that will connect downtown Minneapolis and north Minneapolis with Brooklyn Center Transit Center.
- METRO Blue Line extension - Bottineau light rail – A light rail transit line that will extend the existing Blue Line to the northwest metro through north Minneapolis, Golden Valley, Robbinsdale, Crystal, and Brooklyn Park.
- METRO Green Line extension - Southwest Corridor light rail – A light rail transit line that will extend the existing Green Line to the southwest metro through Minneapolis, St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Minnetonka, and Eden Prairie.
- METRO Orange Line - 35W bus rapid transit – A bus rapid transit line that will connect downtown Minneapolis with stations along I-35W in the south metro through Minneapolis, Richfield, Bloomington, and Burnsville.
- METRO Gold Line - Gateway Corridor – A bus rapid transit line that will connect downtown St. Paul to stations in east St. Paul, Maplewood, Landfall, Oakdale, and Woodbury along dedicated bus lanes.
Potential future transit projects
- Midtown Corridor – Potential transit investment along the Midtown Greenway and Lake Street in Minneapolis.
- Nicollet-Central Corridor – Potential modern streetcar investment along Nicollet Avenue and Nicollet Mall in south and downtown Minneapolis, and into northeast Minneapolis.
- Red Rock Corridor – Potential bus rapid transit corridor along Highway 61 in the southeast metro.
- Riverview Corridor – Potential transit investment connecting downtown St. Paul to the south loop district in Bloomington.
- Robert Street – Potential transit investment along Robert Street south of downtown St. Paul.
- Rush Line Corridor – Potential bus rapid transit investment north of downtown St. Paul into Maplewood, Vadnais Heights, Gem Lake, and White Bear Lake.
- West Broadway Transit Study – Potential transit investment along West Broadway in north Minneapolis and into Robbinsdale.
Transit operating partners