The Council’s role as the region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) requires that major transit projects within the region are coordinated, to accommodate projected growth and use public resources wisely and cost-effectively. Priorities and projects are outlined in the Transportation Policy Plan.
The Council works closely with local, state, and federal agencies to improve transit throughout the region, and provides transitway guidelines to help ensure consistency in projects throughout the regional transitway system.
Recent transit projects now operating
Projects in engineering or construction
- Riverview Corridor – Modern streetcar transit connecting downtown St. Paul to the south loop district in Bloomington, linking to the METRO Blue Line near Fort Snelling.
- Rush Line Corridor – A 14-mile bus rapid transit route connecting Union Depot in Lowertown, Saint Paul to east side neighborhoods of Saint Paul and the cities of Maplewood, Vadnais Heights, Gem Lake and White Bear Lake.
- METRO D Line – A bus rapid transit upgrade that will substantially replace Route 5, operating primarily on Chicago and Emerson/Fremont Avenues between Brooklyn Center and Bloomington.
- METRO Blue Line extension - Bottineau light rail – A light rail transit line that will extend the existing Blue Line to the northwest metro through north Minneapolis, Golden Valley, Robbinsdale, Crystal, and Brooklyn Park.
- METRO Green Line extension - Southwest Corridor light rail – A light rail transit line that will extend the existing Green Line to the southwest metro through Minneapolis, St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Minnetonka, and Eden Prairie.
- METRO Orange Line - 35W bus rapid transit – A bus rapid transit line that will connect downtown Minneapolis with stations along I-35W in the south metro through Minneapolis, Richfield, Bloomington, and Burnsville.
- METRO Gold Line - Gateway Corridor – A bus rapid transit line that will connect downtown St. Paul to stations in east St. Paul, Maplewood, Landfall, Oakdale, and Woodbury along dedicated bus lanes.
Potential future transit projects
- Midtown Corridor – Potential transit investment along the Midtown Greenway and Lake Street in Minneapolis.
- Nicollet-Central Corridor – Potential modern streetcar investment along Nicollet Avenue and Nicollet Mall in south and downtown Minneapolis, and into northeast Minneapolis.
- Red Rock Corridor – Potential bus rapid transit corridor along Highway 61 in the southeast metro.
- Robert Street – Potential transit investment along Robert Street south of downtown St. Paul.
- METRO B Line – A bus rapid transit upgrade that will substantially replace the western portion of Route 21, serving Lake Street and Marshall Avenue between uptown Minneapolis and the Midway area in St. Paul..
- METRO E Line– A bus rapid transit upgrade that will substantially replace parts of Route 6 in the Hennepin Avenue corridor, serving uptown Minneapolis.
- West Broadway Transit Study – Potential transit investment along West Broadway in north Minneapolis and into Robbinsdale.
- Highway 169 – Potential highway bus rapid transit providing service to 10 new stations from Shakopee to downtown Minneapolis primarily along Highway 169 and Highway 55.
- METRO Orange Line Extention – Proposed extension of the METRO Orange Line phase 1 from the Burnsville Parkway Station to the Kenrick Park & Ride in Lakeville, adding two or more stations and approximately five miles to the initial line.
Transit operating partners