The federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines determine eligibility for Metro Mobility services. People are generally eligible if
- They are physically unable to get to the regular fixed-route bus,
- They are unable to navigate regular fixed-route bus systems once they are on board, or
- They are unable to board and exit the bus at some locations.
Under the federal ADA guidelines, individuals may be eligible for Metro Mobility services if any of the following conditions apply:
- A person is physically unable to get to the bus because of their disability or health condition within an area that the fixed-route serves.
- A person is unable to navigate the regular fixed-route system because of their disability.
- A person is unable to board or exit the bus at some locations because of their disability.
To be eligible for Metro Mobility a person must be “unable” to use the fixed-route at least some times. If their disability makes it “hard” or “harder” for them to use the fixed route they would not qualify for Metro Mobility.
LENGTH OF ELIGIBILITY
Generally people are eligible for up to four years. Certification dates are set to coincide with the expiration date on the riders Minnesota State ID card or drivers license when possible. In limited cases where a person is of advanced age or has a deteriorating health condition Metro Mobility may grant ‘permanent’ or life time certification.
Persons who have a temporary condition which prevents them from using the fixed-route may be approved on a temporary basis for up to nine (9) months. Riders who are temporarily certified do not need a Metro Mobility ID card, but must present a valid government issued photo ID for each trip.
- Lack of fixed-route service does not qualify a person for Metro Mobility. If the person could use the fixed route if it were available in their area they would not be eligible.
- Fear of riding the fixed route city bus does not qualify a person for Metro Mobility.
- Social vulnerability, taken by itself, does not qualify a person for Metro Mobility.
These are general guidelines. If you have questions about whether you may or may not qualify for Metro Mobility, please contact our Customer Service staff: phone 651-602-1111*, TTY 651-221-9886, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. *DO NOT call these number to schedule rides. To schedule rides, contact your trip provider.