Available Funding/Grants

MCES funding and grant programs

Green Infrastructure Pilot Grant Program Application

Water problems such as water quality issues, water quantity issues, and wastewater infrastructure issues facing the region today are often addressed as separate individual concerns and are not tied to other urban planning issues associated with land use, transit development, water infrastructure, and parks and green space. The Metropolitan Council is interested in working with communities to implement integrated solutions directed at solving our region’s water-related problems in ways that provide multiple benefits, maximize the extent of positive impacts, and are technically sound.

Taking an integrated approach to solving water-related problems will mean thinking about all aspects of water impacting the areas when determining the best solutions for the situation. This approach promotes the concept of a community looking at wastewater issues, storm water issues, water supply issues together to determine the most efficient and cost effective way to address the issues in order to:

  • Protect the quality and quantity of the region’s water resources
  • Prioritize the need for improving aging infrastructure
  • Protect the economic vitality of the region, cities, and neighborhoods
  • Protect natural ecosystems and park systems

The Metropolitan Council (Council) will implement a pilot green infrastructure grant program effective May 8th, 2017. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis to metropolitan area communities. The Council requires the grantee provide 100% match to the dollars requested. The number of communities receiving the grant will depend on the projects proposed. The Council may divide the $1,000,000 available for this grant among multiple projects or it may select a single project to receive the full $1,000,000.

Applications (PDF) must be received no later than July 17th, 2017.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, projects awarded grant funding must be completed by December 31, 2019.

Questions and applications should be submitted to Judy Sventek at judy.sventek@metc.state.mn.us.

Manufactured Home Park Preservation Equity Grant

The Metropolitan Council is offering a single grant of up to $250,000 as part of a pilot program to assist a manufactured home park in the region to connect to the regional wastewater collection and treatment system. The grant funds must be matched one-to-one and used to defray the cost of the regional Sewer Availability Charge (SAC).

Three manufactured housing parks are eligible based on their ability to connect to the regional wastewater system in the near future.

The deadline for applications is June 16, 2017.

See the Notice of Funding Availability (pdf).

Water Efficiency Grant Program

Municipal water suppliers that want to give their residents an incentive to use water more efficiently may apply through Nov. 30, 2015, for grant funds from the Council. Applicants will be notified by Dec. 31, 2015. Application forms are to be submitted to brian.davis@metc.state.mn.us.

The Council has $500,000 available from Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment funds appropriated by the 2015 Minnesota Legislature. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis to communities that manage municipal water systems. Council grants will provide 75% of the program cost; the municipality must provide the remaining 25%. Grants will be available in amounts from $2,000 to $50,000.

Communities may use the funds to lower the cost of purchase and installation of products that reduce water use, such as low-flow toilets, Energy Star-rated washing machines, and more efficient irrigation systems.

All documents are in pdf format unless otherwise noted.

2015 Water Efficiency Grant Program Guidelines

Inflow/Infiltration Grant Programs

The 2017 Municipal I/I Grant Program consists of $3.739M in bonding bill funding for the purpose of providing grants to municipalities for capital improvements to public infrastructure to mitigate I/I. Additional documents and information on the grant program can be found below:

2017 Municipal Grant Requirements and Grant Design Guidelines (WORD)

Stormwater Grant Application

The Metropolitan Council (Council) will implement a stormwater grant program effective February 27, 2017. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis to metropolitan area watershed management organizations (WMOs), watershed districts (WDs), or soil and water conservation districts (SWCDs). The Council will provide 75% of the program cost; the grantee must provide the remaining 25%. Grants will be made available in amounts with a minimum of $10,000 and a maximum of $200,000. Grantees will be required to provide promotional/educational signage regarding the project for the benefit of cities and the public

Due to the relatively small amount of available funding, only watershed management organizations (WMOs), watershed districts (WDs), or soil and water conservation districts (SWCDs) in the seven-county metropolitan area are eligible to apply for these grants.

The Council encourages all cities and other local units of government to work with their respective watershed management organization, watershed district, or soil and water conservation district, to submit proposals for possible grant funding.
 

Applications must be received no later than April 14, 2017.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, projects awarded grant funding must be completed by December 31, 2019.