Informing decisions about local resource needs
Small Area Estimates
How we calculate estimates
Like most agencies that calculate population estimates for cities and townships, we use a housing stock model. This involves answering three questions:
- How many housing units are in each city and township?
- How many housing units are occupied?
- How many people lived in these occupied housing units?
To answer these questions, we gather data from cities and townships and manufactured home parks. We also rely on data from the U.S. Census Bureau and the U.S. Postal Service.
Learn more about how we calculate estimates. One-page version (pdf)
or full methodology report (pdf).
We work with local governments to finalize the annual population estimates in two phases:
- We release preliminary estimates, typically in mid-May, for review and comment by local governments.
- Final, certified estimates are released by July 15. Only these certified estimates are official.