Southwest Light Rail Transit
METRO Green Line Extension – Eden Prairie to Downtown Minneapolis
The METRO Green Line Extension (Southwest LRT or SWLRT) will operate on a route from downtown Minneapolis through the communities of St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Minnetonka, and Eden Prairie.
The line will include 16 new stations and will be part of an integrated system of transitways, including connections to the METRO Blue Line, the Northstar Commuter Rail line, and many bus routes. At Target Field Station in Minneapolis, Green Line Extension trains will continue along the METRO Green Line, providing one-seat rides to the University of Minnesota, State Capitol area, and downtown St. Paul. Read more project facts.
Subscribe to weekly construction updates
Sign up for text or email alerts >
Subscribe on Twitter, @SouthwestLRT
Southwest LRT Construction Update: December 6, 2019
Construction Site Security
Fencing is an important part of any construction project as it provides security for the public, workers, and equipment. Most of the project corridor has been fenced and crews regularly inspect and repair the fencing as needed. The contractor uses cameras on equipment and fencing to deter trespassing, vandalism and theft. The contractor and the project office coordinate with corridor first responders to focus on safety. Project neighbors can be a partner in the safety effort by calling the construction hotline if they see any issues or suspicious activity.
More on the Construction Update here
- Work on the station structure begins on the Golden Triangle Station.
- Both northbound lanes on Louisiana Avenue will open for traffic today.
- Next week, crews will be setting beams for the freight rail bridge over the Cedar Lake Channel. Expect intermittent closures of the channel for about 20 minutes at a time.
- Work on a temporary trail connection between the North Cedar Lake Trail and Kenilworth Corridor begins next week. Flaggers will be in the area.
- LRT bridge pier work on Royalston Avenue will begin during the week of December 9.
One of the most active areas of Southwest LRT project construction this season has been near the Cedar Lake Channel in Minneapolis where crews have been busy constructing a new freight rail bridge. The above video shows the civil contractor working to preserve the historic WPA wall during construction.
- For urgent Southwest LRT construction issues, call the 24-hour hotline at 612-373-3933 for assistance. Call the hotline for problems such as blocked access to business or residential areas, improper traffic sign placement, or parking issues.
- For general questions or comments about Southwest LRT, contact your Community Outreach Coordinator.
- For emergencies, always call 911.
Explore the route
Take a virtual flyover of the route of the METRO Green Line Extension from Eden Prairie through Minnetonka, Hopkins, St. Louis Park, and downtown Minneapolis. Key design features of the new light rail line include passenger stations, park-and-ride facilities, bridges, tunnels, and pedestrian/bicycle facilities. See more about the METRO Green Line Extension route and stations.