Southwest Light Rail Transit
METRO Green Line Extension – Eden Prairie to Downtown Minneapolis
The METRO Green Line Extension (Southwest LRT) will operate on a route from downtown Minneapolis through the communities of St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Minnetonka, and Eden Prairie.
The line will include 16 new stations and will be part of an integrated system of transitways, including connections to the METRO Blue Line, the Northstar Commuter Rail line, and many bus routes. At Target Field Station in Minneapolis, Green Line Extension trains will continue along the METRO Green Line, providing one-seat rides to the University of Minnesota, State Capitol area, and downtown St. Paul. Read more project facts.
Corridor-wide Activities: Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Hopkins, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis
Subscribe to weekly construction updates
Sign up for text or email alerts >
Subscribe on Twitter, @SouthwestLRT
In June, expect to see the following activities throughout the alignment as crews prepare for construction:
Read the latest construction update
- Surveying and staking
- Erosion control
- Utility locates and potholing to pinpoint the exact location of underground utilities
- Utility relocation and/or removal by private utility companies (electric, gas, communication)
- New utility installation such as sewer and water lines
- Retaining wall construction
- Construction equipment and material delivery
- Trees, vegetation, roots shrubs and stump removal
- Fence installation around work areas
- Pile driving
Explore the route
Take a virtual flyover of the route of the METRO Green Line Extension from Eden Prairie through Minnetonka, Hopkins, St. Louis Park, and downtown Minneapolis. Key design features of the new light rail line include passenger stations, park-and-ride facilities, bridges, tunnels, and pedestrian/bicycle facilities. See more about the METRO Green Line Extension route and stations.