Southwest Light Rail Transit
METRO Green Line Extension – Eden Prairie to Downtown Minneapolis
The METRO Green Line Extension (Southwest LRT or SWLRT) will operate on a route from downtown Minneapolis through the communities of St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Minnetonka, and Eden Prairie.
The line will include 16 new stations and will be part of an integrated system of transitways, including connections to the METRO Blue Line, the Northstar Commuter Rail line, and many bus routes. At Target Field Station in Minneapolis, Green Line Extension trains will continue along the METRO Green Line, providing one-seat rides to the University of Minnesota, State Capitol area, and downtown St. Paul. Read more project facts.
Subscribe to weekly construction updates
Sign up for text or email alerts >
Subscribe on Twitter, @SouthwestLRT
Southwest LRT Construction Update: November 22, 2019
This update provides information for the next two weeks of upcoming construction activities. If there are any significant changes to the current schedule, we will issue an update specific to those items next week. Our next construction update will be Friday, December 6.
Crews will suspend most construction work for the Thanksgiving weekend, from Thursday November 27 through Sunday December 1. However, crews will be doing site inspections, conducting regular maintenance activities and may be performing utility work in the Glenwood area.
On Thanksgiving Day, the Southwest Project Office will be closed. Staff will be on call over the holiday weekend to address urgent issues received through the hotline. All other questions will be addressed on Monday, December 2.
More on the Construction Update here
- TH 62 westbound lanes will close tonight at 7:00 p.m., Friday, November 22 and reopen by 5:00 a.m. on Monday, November 25.
- Night work has resumed around the Golden Triangle Station and will continue through mid-December.
- Excelsior Boulevard will reopen to vehicle traffic on Monday.
- LRT bridge pier work begins on Royalston Avenue the first week of December. Traffic control and fencing will be in place.
One of the most active areas of Southwest LRT project construction this season has been near the Cedar Lake Channel in Minneapolis where crews have been busy constructing a new freight rail bridge. The above video shows the civil contractor working to preserve the historic WPA wall during construction.
- For urgent Southwest LRT construction issues, call the 24-hour hotline at 612-373-3933 for assistance. Call the hotline for problems such as blocked access to business or residential areas, improper traffic sign placement, or parking issues.
- For general questions or comments about Southwest LRT, contact your Community Outreach Coordinator.
- For emergencies, always call 911.
Explore the route
Take a virtual flyover of the route of the METRO Green Line Extension from Eden Prairie through Minnetonka, Hopkins, St. Louis Park, and downtown Minneapolis. Key design features of the new light rail line include passenger stations, park-and-ride facilities, bridges, tunnels, and pedestrian/bicycle facilities. See more about the METRO Green Line Extension route and stations.