Water Efficiency Grant Program


  • $1,000,000 for the Water Efficiency Grant Program
  • $250,000 for an innovative Water Conservation Pilot Project with St. Paul Regional Water Services


  • 2015 – 2017, 2019 – 2022, and 2022 – 2024


The Metropolitan Council was awarded $500,000 from Minnesota Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment funds for a Water Efficiency Grant Program during the 2015 – 2017 biennium. The Metropolitan Council received a second award of $750,000 for the 2019 – 2022 period. A third award of $1,250,000 has been made for the 2022 – 2024 period. 

Grants are awarded on a competitive basis to metro area communities that manage municipal water systems. Met Council grants cover 80% of the program cost; each participating municipality provides the remaining 20% as a match. This is an increase from the 75% coverage and 25% match of the previous two grant programs. 

Communities use the funds to lower the cost of purchase and installation of products that reduce water use, including: 
  • EPA WaterSense-labeled low-flow toilets 

  • WaterSense-labeled irrigation controllers (either weather-based or soil moisture-based) 

  • Irrigation spray sprinkler body replacement with a US EPA WaterSense labeled spray sprinkler body 

  • Irrigation system audit by an Irrigation Professional certified by a US EPA WaterSense program 

  • Energy Star-labeled washing machines 

  • Energy Star-labeled residential dishwashers 

  • Nineteen communities participated in the 2015 – 2017 program, including Brooklyn Park, Chanhassen, Circle Pines, Cottage Grove, Eagan, Eden Prairie, Forest Lake, Fridley, Hugo, Mahtomedi, New Brighton, Newport, Plymouth, Shakopee, Victoria, White Bear Lake, White Bear Township, and Woodbury. 

Thirty-seven communities participated in the 2019 – 2022 program, including Apple Valley, Bloomington, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Chanhassen, Chaska, Cottage Grove, Dayton, Eagan, Eden Prairie, Farmington, Forest Lake, Fridley, Hopkins, Hugo, Lake Elmo, Lakeville, Mahtomedi, Minnetonka, New Brighton, North St. Paul, Oakdale, Plymouth, Prior Lake, Ramsey, Robbinsdale, Rosemount, Roseville, Savage, the Shakopee Public Utilities Commission, Shoreview, Shorewood, St. Louis Park, Victoria, White Bear Lake, White Bear Township, and Woodbury. 


Metropolitan Council Water Efficiency Grant Program Executive Summary (PDF) 
4,514 devices were replaced, including 2,380 toilets, 1,190 irrigation controllers, 940 clothes washers, and 4 irrigation system audits. 
Approximately 52,000,000 gallons per year will be saved each year by these replacements. This includes 29,800,000 gallons per year from toilets, 18,000,000 gallons per year from irrigation controllers, 4,200,000 gallons per year from clothes washers, and 59,000 gallons per year from irrigation system audits. 
The average amount of water saved annually per device is approximately 12,200 gallons per year from toilets, 15,000 gallons per year from irrigation controllers, 4,300 gallons per year from clothes washers, and 14,800 gallons per year from irrigation system audits.