Southwest Light Rail Transit
METRO Green Line Extension – Eden Prairie to Downtown Minneapolis
The METRO Green Line Extension (Southwest LRT or SWLRT) will operate on a route from downtown Minneapolis through the communities of St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Minnetonka, and Eden Prairie.
The line will include 16 new stations and will be part of an integrated system of transitways, including connections to the METRO Blue Line, the Northstar Commuter Rail line, and many bus routes. At Target Field Station in Minneapolis, Green Line Extension trains will continue along the METRO Green Line, providing one-seat rides to the University of Minnesota, State Capitol area, and downtown St. Paul. Read more project facts.
Subscribe to weekly construction updates
Sign up for text or email alerts >
Subscribe on Twitter, @SouthwestLRT
Southwest LRT Construction Update: November 15, 2019
TH 62 Tunnel Work Beginning
At 10:00 p.m., Friday, November 15, the westbound lanes will close until 5:00 a.m. on Monday, November 18 (See all detour maps here)
to allow the contractor to shift westbound traffic to the south to accommodate the tunnel construction on the north side of the highway. Monday morning, westbound traffic will reopen with one lane in each direction. This traffic configuration will be in place through 2020.
More on the Construction Update here
- Excelsior Boulevard in Hopkins to reopen next week.
- Smetana Road from Feltl Road to Nolan Drive in Hopkins/Minnetonka to close for up to a year, starting next week.
- Cedar Lake Parkway in Minneapolis, westbound closure for three days for utility work, starting Monday
One of the most active areas of Southwest LRT project construction this season has been near the Cedar Lake Channel in Minneapolis where crews have been busy constructing a new freight rail bridge. The above video shows the civil contractor working to preserve the historic WPA wall during construction.
- For urgent Southwest LRT construction issues, call the 24-hour hotline at 612-373-3933 for assistance. Call the hotline for problems such as blocked access to business or residential areas, improper traffic sign placement, or parking issues.
- For general questions or comments about Southwest LRT, contact your Community Outreach Coordinator.
- For emergencies, always call 911.
Explore the route
Take a virtual flyover of the route of the METRO Green Line Extension from Eden Prairie through Minnetonka, Hopkins, St. Louis Park, and downtown Minneapolis. Key design features of the new light rail line include passenger stations, park-and-ride facilities, bridges, tunnels, and pedestrian/bicycle facilities. See more about the METRO Green Line Extension route and stations.