Livable Communities Demonstration Account (LCDA)
Focus on innovative, replicable projects
The Livable Communities Demonstration Account (LCDA) funds innovative (re)development projects that efficiently link housing, jobs, services and transit in an effort to create inspiring and lasting Livable Communities. Grants are available to fund basic public infrastructure and site assembly.
What makes a Livable Community?
This is where you come in. We can’t tell you how to innovate and inspire; we can’t tell you what brings your community to life. Of the 243 LCDA grants (totaling more than $130 million) that funded projects in 67 cities, no two have been identical. Successful LCDA projects:
Connect housing, jobs, civic sites, retail centers and local/regional transportation systems.
Demonstrate a variety of housing densities, types and costs, creative placemaking, environmentally sensitive development, and compact land use.
Catalyze additional development that efficiently uses land and infrastructure, and supports vibrant, diverse communities.
Previously funded project elements include street improvements, plazas, parks, demolition, design, development plans, implementation techniques, market studies, storm water management, zoning, land acquisition, master plans, utility relocation, site assembly and reconstruction. LCDA grant applications undergo a two-step review process by internal Council staff and the Livable Communities Advisory Committee.
2018 LCDA Funding Schedule
- June 28, 3:00 p.m. - Project Concept Plans due
- August 9, 3:00 p.m. - Full applications due
- September - Council staff conducts reviews
- October-November - Livable Communities Advisory Committee conducts Step Two evaluations
- December - Met Council awards LCDA Development grants
- May 31 - LCDA Pre-Development Spring Round applications due
- July - Council awards Spring Round Pre-development grants
- November 1, 3:00 p.m.- LCDA Pre-Development Fall Round applications due
- December/January - Council awards Fall Round Pre-Development grants
Apply for Grants
Apply online via Webgrants (Available May 31)
(Please note: LCDA Development applicants are required to submit a Project Concept Plan prior to submitting an application via Webgrants.)
Application Guides & Forms
The Council sponsors optional design workshops in which a panel of design professionals offer input on projects before a full application is submitted. After submittal, each application undergoes a two-step review process.
LCDA Program Officer: Hannah Gary (651-602-1663) or firstname.lastname@example.org