The Met Council’s role as the region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) requires that federally funded roadway projects are coordinated to support our vision for the region, accommodate projected growth, and use public resources wisely and cost-effectively.
The Met Council works closely with the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) to plan the regional highway projects included in planning documents, such as the Transportation Policy Plan, but is not involved in highway construction.
Major projects under construction (over $35 million)
- 35W@94: Downtown to Crosstown — Reconstruction of I-35W in Minneapolis from 46th St. to I-94, including the construction of an On-line Transit Station located on I-35W at Lake St, and access and mobility improvements.
- I-35W/I-35E and I-35 - Lino Lakes to Forest Lake — Resurfacing six miles of I-35 from just south of the I-35 split to a half mile north of Hwy 8 at the Chisago/Washington county line, includes replacing three bridges.
- Highway 169/Highway 41 and 78 Interchange — New interchange in Scott County’s Jackson and Louisville townships.
- I-35W Minnesota River Bridge — Replace the bridge and pavement on I-35W between Cliff Rd. and 106th St. from Bloomington to Burnsville. Raise I-35W out of the floodplain and provide pedestrian access across the river.
- I-35W North MnPASS — Construct MnPASS Lanes on I-35W between Roseville and Blaine. Repave I-35W and ramps between Roseville and Blaine/Lino Lakes. Repair or replace bridges along the project area. Install seven noise walls.
Projects in engineering
Future major construction projects (over $35 million)
- Rethinking I-94 between Minneapolis and St. Paul — A long-term effort to improve MnDOT’s engagement and relationships with the communities in a 15-mile study area while developing plans to replace aging infrastructure and improving safety and mobility in the corridor.
- I-494 Airport to Highway 169 — Reconstruction of the I-494 freeway that travels through the cities of Bloomington, Richfield, Eden Prairie, and Edina.
- Highway 252/I-94 Environmental Review — Proposals to address the future of Hwy 252 and I-94 in Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center and western Minneapolis.
- Highway 169 Freeway — Convert Hwy 169 in Elk River to a freeway between Hwy 101 and 197th Ave.
- I-94 Maple Grove to Rogers — Repave I-94, add lanes between Hwy 610 and Hwy 101, and add a new interchange at Dayton Parkway.
- Highway 10/169 Improvement Project — Improve safety, efficiency, circulation, and connectivity; relieve congestion; and provide pedestrian facilities between the Anoka/Ramsey city limits and the Main Street interchange.
- I-35W North Gateway Study — Identify future construction projects along I-35W from Park Ave. in Minneapolis to Co. Rd. C in Roseville to replace aging infrastructure, and improve safety and mobility in the corridor.
Potential future highway projects