Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) Grants
Focus on increasing transit use
The Council’s TOD grants promote moderate- to higher-density development located within easy walking distance of a major transit stop, that typically include a mix of uses such as housing, jobs, and retail choices. TOD projects are expected to diversify uses and provide a higher concentration of amenities in a compact built environment within transit station areas contributing to high-quality, pedestrian-oriented streets and public spaces encouraging the use of transit service. Through a focus on TOD, the Council aims to integrate transportation, jobs and housing, leverage private investment, advance equity, and increase transit ridership.
Projects requesting LCA-TOD funding must be located within a TOD Eligible area, which is within ½ mile of a station on the: Blue, Green, Orange, or Red Line, the A, C, or D Line, the Northstar Line or a high-frequency express route. Areas within ¼ mile of local express routes are also eligible. Projects located within ½ mile of a station on the Gold or Rush Line are eligible for TOD Pre-Development and Zoning Implementation grants.
Use the Council’s Make-a-Map Application to ensure that the TOD project is located within a TOD eligible area. To identify TOD Eligible Areas – select the “Layers Tab” and select “TOD Grant Areas”.
2019 TOD Funding Schedule
TOD Pre-Development and Zoning
- May 1, 3:00 p.m. - TOD Pre-Development Spring Round applications due
- June - Council will award Spring Round Pre-Development grants
- November 1, 3:00 p.m. - TOD Pre-Development Fall Round applications due
- December - Council awards Fall Round Pre-Development grants
- June 1, 3:00 p.m. - Project Concept Plans (PCP) due for TOD Development (This is a Saturday. Staff will only be available for assistance Friday, May 31. See PCP Guide for submission instructions.)
- July 11, 3:00 p.m. - Full applications due for TOD Development
- July-August- Council staff conducts Step 1 review
- September - Livable Communities Advisory Committee conducts Step 2 review
- October - Metropolitan Council awards TOD Development grants
Application Guide & Forms
Apply for Grants
Apply ONLINE via Webgrants
Please note: Project Concept Plans are submitted via email using the forms above. TOD Development applicants are required to submit a Project Concept Plan prior to submitting an application via Webgrants.
The Council sponsors optional design workshops in which a panel of design professionals offer input on projects before a full application is submitted.
Round Two Dates: TBD