Waiting List and Applications
Applying for Section 8 Assistance
This is important housing information. If you do not understand it, have someone translate it for you now.
Esta es información importante sobre las viviendas. Si usted no lo entiende, pida a alguien que le traduzca ahora.
Qhov no yog lus tseem ceeb heev qhia txog tsev nyob. Yog tias koj tsis tau taub thov hais rau lwm tus pab txhais rau koj.
Это важная информация о жилпощади.Если Вы её не понимаете, попросите кого-нибудь сейчас перевести её Вам.
Kani waa warbixin muhiim ah ee ku saabsan guriyaha. Haddii aadan fahamsaneyn waa in aad heshaa hadeertaan qof kuu tarjumaa.
Waiting list openings
The Metropolitan Council Housing and Redevelopment Authority (Metro HRA), the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority, and the St. Paul Public Housing Agency will be accepting online applications for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.
Online applications will be available:
8:00 am Wednesday, June 12 at 8:00 am through Tuesday, June 18 at noon.
- Apply to each waiting list separately.
- Apply any time during the open period. There is no advantage to applying early.
- Applications will be open 24 hours a day during the open period.
- Applications must be submitted online by noon on Tuesday, June 18.
To complete the applications, visit the following websites:
Metro HRA will place 2,000 applicants on the waiting list through a random drawing from all applications received. Metro HRA will award 95% of waiting list placements to applicants who live, work or attend school full-time in the 7-county Twin Cities metro area (Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington counties). The remaining 5% of waiting list placements will be awarded to any other applicant.
The Minneapolis Public Housing Authority will place 2,000 applicants on the waiting list through a random drawing from all applications received. The housing authority will award 95% of waiting list placements to applicants who live, work, or attend school in Minneapolis. The remaining 5% of waiting list placements will be awarded to any other applicant. The residency preference does not have the purpose or effect of delaying or otherwise denying admission based on race, color, ethnic origin, gender, religion, disability, or age of any member of the applicant family.
The St. Paul Public Housing Agency will place 3,500 applicants on the waiting list through a random drawing from all applications received. The housing agency will award 95% of waiting list placements to applicants whose head of household or spouse lives, works, or attends school in St. Paul, or to applicants who have been deemed “homeless” through Ramsey County’s Coordinated Entry System. The remaining 5% of waiting list placements will be awarded to any other applicant.
See frequently asked questions.
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program provides rental assistance to households with very low incomes. In order to qualify, annual gross household income cannot exceed:
- 1 person: $35,000
- 2 persons: $40,000
- 3 persons: $45,000
- 4 persons: $50,000
- 5 persons: $54,000
- 6 persons: $58,000
- 7 persons: $62,000
- 8 persons: $66,000
Applications will not be available in the agency offices, and fax or e-mail requests will not be accepted. Applicants may use any computer, tablet, or smartphone to apply, including free computers at public libraries and at the housing authority, if available.
Applicants needing a reasonable accommodation, free language assistance, or who require this information in an alternative format are encouraged to submit a request to any of the agencies in advance of the waiting list opening. Translation will be available in 60 different languages.
Families may rent any type of housing in the Metro HRA service area from participating property owners. Eligible households pay 30% to 40% of their incomes for rent, and Metro HRA pays the remainder, within established rent guidelines.
On the waiting list? Keep your information current
If you are currently on the Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List, you must report any changes in address or family size. To make the changes, log in to your www.assistancecheck.com account.
If you move and we are unable to locate you, your name may be removed from the waiting list.
All of Metro HRA's federally subsidized housing vouchers are in use and helping low-income families pay rent.
However, there are other metro-area agencies that administer housing programs and provide assistance to people seeking affordable housing. Please visit HousingLink, Minnesota's primary source for affordable housing-related openings, data, and information.