There are five Minneapolis maps with each illustrating where construction crews are working. General activities are highlighted for your convenience. Please refer to text descriptions in this section for more details on major elements being constructed in specific areas.
Chowen Avenue to Cedar Lake Parkway
In addition to the West Lake Street Station, crews will be reconstructing the Chowen/Abbott roadway connection. The LRT tunnel is being constructed in this area, running between the West Lake Street Station and the Cedar Lake Channel. To complete work in this area there is also freight rail infrastructure and trail facilities.
- Secant wall work is expected to resume in early June.
- The long-term closure of Cedar Lake Parkway is scheduled to begin on Monday, May 23 and last until spring 2023. A virtual public meeting was held to provide more details about the closure of Cedar Lake Parkway. You can view a recording of that meeting at the Public Involvement page of the Green Line Extension website.
- Pumps and generators will run overnight periodically in various parts of the construction corridor, especially at the Kenilworth LRT tunnel site. Pumps are used to manage water, and generators are used to power the pumps.
Cedar Lake Parkway to Burnham Road
The LRT tunnel continues in this segment. Other elements include the construction of retaining walls (complete), and freight, LRT, and trail bridges over the Cedar Lake Channel.
Burnham Road to Bryn Mawr Station
In addition to the LRT, freight rail and trail construction, this area has two stations: West 21st Street and Bryn Mawr. The Bryn Mawr Station includes a pedestrian bridge that will extend over the freight tracks from the bluffs to the station platform.
- Lane closures are expected on Wayzata Boulevard starting late May and lasting through the construction season. Equipment will be staged to continue retaining wall work at the Bryn Mawr Station area.
Current activities to expect in this area:
- Construction at and around Bryn Mawr Station continues through 2022 for the pedestrian bridge and work on the station platform. Retaining wall work on the bluff south of Wayzata Boulevard and Penn Avenue continues.
Bryn Mawr Station to Bassett Creek Valley Station Area
There are two stations serving residents in this area; Bryn Mawr Station and the Bassett Creek Valley Station. In addition, area construction includes LRT track, trails, and the corridor protection wall.
Glenwood Avenue to Target Field Station
LRT will cross a new Glenwood Avenue bridge at the roadway grade. To make that happen three bridges need to be constructed, freight rail shifted, and extensive retaining walls built. This area will see the development of the Royalston Avenue/Farmer’s Market Station, an LRT bridge crossing over North 5th Avenue and North 7th Street and LRT connecting to the Target Field Station. The Holden/Royalston/Border roadway loop will also be reconstructed with improvements.
- Traffic and parking impacts are expected on Holden Street starting late May to complete adjacent retaining wall work.
- Glenwood Avenue between Lyndale Avenue North and North 12th Street remains closed. See Minneapolis detour map.
- Royalston Avenue between 5th Avenue and Border Avenue is closed. This closure will be in place at least into this winter.
- Bridge work near North 7th Street and North 6th Avenue continues. There is a temporary lane closure on eastbound North 6th Avenue.