For urgent Southwest LRT construction issues, please call the 24-hour hotline at 612-373-3933 for assistance. Call the hotline for problems such as blocked access to business or residential areas, improper traffic sign placement or parking issues. For general questions or comments about Southwest LRT, contact your Community Outreach Coordinator.
For emergencies, always call 911.
Construction activity updates
The Metropolitan Council will provide information on construction activities every Friday throughout construction. Subscribe to receive construction activity updates by email or text in the signup box in the right column.
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - July 7, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - July 5, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - June 28, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - June 21, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - June 14, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - June 7, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - May 31, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - May 24, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - May 17, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - May 10, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - May 3, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - April 26, 2019 (PDF)
- SWLRT Civil Construction Update - April 22, 2019 (PDF)
Construction Update: July 12, 2019
Construction Open Houses
Beginning next week on July 16, the Southwest Project Office is hosting an open house in each city along the project. Construction has begun throughout the corridor and these open houses will provide an opportunity to learn about on-going activities in your community and surrounding areas. The open houses are from 4:30 – 7:00 PM, with a short presentation at 6:00 PM, on the following dates:
- Tuesday, July 16: St. Louis Park City Hall, Council Chambers
- Thursday, July 18: Eden Prairie City Center, Heritage Room
- Monday, July 22: Eagle Ridge Academy School, Cafeteria, Minnetonka
- Tuesday, July 23: Bryn Mawr Elementary School, Cafeteria, Minneapolis
- Thursday, July 25: Hopkins Depot, Railroad Room
See the Southwest LRT Public Involvement page for more details
On-going Activities Update
Corridor-wide: Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Hopkins, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis
Conditions are changing along the corridor as work continues including survey work, staking, earth work, major utility relocation and vegetation removal with heavy equipment.
SouthWest Station in Eden Prairie: On-going
The passenger drop-off lanes for SouthWest Transit Station have been moved to the west end of the parking structure. SouthWest Transit Station and buses are operating as usual. Reconstruction of the east entrance to SouthWest Transit and surrounding businesses is almost complete; landscaping will be done later. Demolition of the Culver’s building and site prep is complete. Pile driving for utility work near the former Culver’s site is anticipated to begin the week of July 22. The sidewalk on the north side of Technology Drive will be closed and a pedestrian detour will be in place to the south side of Technology Drive to allow for this utility work.
LRT Bridge at I-494/Flying Cloud Drive in Eden Prairie: On-going
Traffic control is set up on I-494 and shoulder lane closures will occur to enable bridge abutment work for new LRT bridge construction over I-494 adjacent to Flying Cloud Drive. Expect heavy equipment in the area as excavation begins. Additional traffic control and traffic shifts will take place as needed to construct the bridge pier in the median of I-494.
Golden Triangle Station in Eden Prairie: On-going
Expect heavy equipment in the area. No detours, road or lane closures are anticipated for this work. Pile driving work has resumed during daytime hours.
Excelsior Boulevard Area in Hopkins: On-going
The new temporary parking lot for the Hopkins Depot is complete and opened to the public. Beginning the week of July 8, site security fencing at the original lot is anticipated to be installed. Expect traffic delays as work will intensify in this area in the coming weeks. Crews will begin to remove trail pavement and begin excavation for future bridge piers. The sidewalk will be closed on the northside of Excelsior Boulevard in the immediate vicinity of the tracks beginning the week of July 15 as piling for bridge piers begins, follow posted pedestrian detours. Removal of existing freight tracks will also begin. A full closure of Excelsior Boulevard at the freight railroad crossing is expected later this summer.
Cedar Lake and Kenilworth Trail Closures: On-going
The Cedar Lake Trail and Kenilworth Trail are closed for two to three years (see detour maps here)
. Since the closures were put in place in May, adjustments have been made to detour signage in St. Louis Park and Minneapolis based on trail-user feedback.
- Cedar Lake Trail: Closed through Hopkins and St. Louis Park until Fall 2021
- The portion of the Cedar Lake Trail that closed starts just east of the North Cedar Lake Trail connection in Hopkins to France Avenue in St. Louis Park.
- At this time, automobiles, bikes and pedestrians will continue to cross at Jackson Street, Blake Road, Louisiana Avenue, Wooddale Avenue, TH 100 and Beltline Blvd.
- Cedar Lake Trail will remain open between France Avenue in St. Louis Park and Kenilworth Trail/Midtown Greenway intersection in Minneapolis. The Midtown Greenway will remain open.
Smetana Road in Minnetonka and Hopkins: Late July/Early August
- Kenilworth Trail: Closed in Minneapolis until Summer 2022
- The portion of the Kenilworth Trail that closed at the intersection with the Midtown Greenway and extends northeast to just south of W 21st St.
- At this time, automobiles, bikes and pedestrians will continue to cross at Cedar Lake Parkway and at W 21st Street.
- Kenilworth Trail access will remain open between W 21st Street and the North Cedar Lake Trail, even though construction activities may commence in this area and trail access will be modified. The Midtown Greenway will remain open.
Private utilities began to prepare this area for Southwest LRT construction. Site fencing and erosion control is also being installed. Beginning in late July or early August there will be three phases of closures on Smentana and Feltl Roads. Closures will begin with Smetana Road having up to two overnight closures to install temporary watermain. Following that work, a five- to six-week closure of Smetana Road between Feltl Court to Feltl Drive will occur. Signs will be posted seven days before the closure. See detour map here.
Minnesota River Bluffs Regional Trail in Hopkins: July 13
Closure of the Minnesota River Bluffs Regional Trail in Hopkins in two short segments is anticipated beginning the week of July 13. Signs will be posted seven days before the closure to notify trail users.
Louisiana Avenue in St. Louis Park: July 17
- Between 11th Avenue South and Shady Oak Road, trail users will follow a pedestrian and bike detour via Shady Oak Road, Excelsior Boulevard and 11th Avenue South. This closure will last for approximately two weeks as crews establish the construction site and build temporary facilities. This closure is anticipated on July 13. See detour map here.
- Between 5th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South, trail users will follow a pedestrian and bike detour a quarter of a block via 8th Avenue, Excelsior Boulevard and 5th Avenue. The closure will last approximately two and a half years. This closure is anticipated on July 18. See detour map here.
A full road closure of Louisiana Avenue at the Cedar Lake Regional Trail is anticipated to begin July 17 as crews demo the existing bridge. This closure will last up to five days. Oxford Street at Louisiana remains open. Traffic moving south will detour west onto Highway 7, south onto TH 169 and back east on Excelsior Boulevard. Traffic moving north with detour west onto Excelsior Boulevard, north onto TH 169 and back east on Highway 7. See detour map here.
Burnham Road in Minneapolis: Week of July 15
A partial closure of Burnham Road from Cedar Lake Parkway to Park Lane (approx. 800 ft) is anticipated the week of July 15. Two-way traffic will be allowed on Burnham Road Bridge during detour. This closure will last approximately 30 days. See detour map here.
Works Progress Administration (WPA) Wall Located at the Cedar Lake (Kenilworth) Channel: Mid-July
Work to retrofit the existing pedestrian bridge for construction vehicles is almost complete. Salvage work is scheduled to begin in mid-July. This work includes manual and mechanical excavation in sections. This work may take up to 4 months depending on the condition of the wall and preservation protocols. The channel will remain open for recreational use but will be narrowed to approximately 25 feet during this work. A full closure of the channel is expected later this summer; a 14-day advanced notification will be provided prior to a full closure.
Glenwood Avenue in Minneapolis: July 15 at approximately 5:00 AM
A full road closure of Glenwood Avenue between Lyndale Avenue North and 11th Street North is occurring on July 15 for approximately two years; local access to businesses will be maintained. Generally, vehicle detours will use Lyndale Avenue, Olson Memorial Highway and 7th
Streets. The pedestrian detour will utilize Border Avenue, Holden Street and Royalston Avenue sidewalks. See detour map here.
Cedar Lake Trail in Minneapolis: July 15 at approximately 6:00 AM
The Cedar Lake Trail in Minneapolis from Linden Yards located west of Van White Boulevard to east of Royalston Avenue will close on July 15, in conjunction with the closure of Glenwood Avenue. The trail will be closed for approximately two years, until summer 2021. Follow detour signs east via Kenwood Parkway, Vineland Place, Loring Park trail into downtown Minneapolis. To return to the Cedar Lake Trail, which remains open east of Royalston Avenue, travel via Harmon Place and north along 11th
Street South. For trail users traveling west, follow bike detours via 12th
Street into downtown Minneapolis, travel west on Harmon Place through Loring Park to Vineland Place and Kenwood Parkway. Trail detours were designed in coordination with members of the biking community and project partners. See detour map here.
Upcoming Roadway Closures:
To give people advanced notice, the table below includes a list of planned closures. Detour signage will be in place seven days prior to closure to give notice of the actual closure date. As more information is available, we will include in weekly updates.
Meetings and Events
||FULL CLOSURE of Excelsior Boulevard at the intersection of Jackson Avenue North and Milwaukee Street
||Two, 2-week closures
(approx. 28 days total)
||FULL CLOSURE of Blake Road at the Cedar Lake Trail and freight rail crossing
||Up to 2 weeks
Project staff will host pop-up events and attend community events to share upcoming construction information with residents, businesses and trail users. Follow us on Twitter (@SouthwestLRT) for the latest information.
- Monday, July 15: Pop-ups at Cedar Lake Trail near Royalston and near Van White; 7:30 AM – 9:00 AM
- Saturday, July 20: Hopkins Raspberry Festival, Mainstreet; 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM
- Saturday, July 20: Metro Transit Police Department Open House, Heywood Campus; 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Saturday, July 20: Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Depot Open House, Jorvig Park; 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Lunda/CS McCrossan Joint Venture, the civil contractor, will be hosting a career fair; stop by to find explore opportunities in the construction industry:
- Thursday, August 22: Minneapolis Urban League, 2100 Plymouth Avenue North, Minneapolis; 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM