Microbrewery and Brewpub Wastewater Discharge Program
Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES) owns and operates nine wastewater treatment plants and over 600 miles of sewer pipe that convey wastewater from communities in the Twin Cities metro area to our treatment plants. The wastewater treated at these plants must meet strict environmental standards to ensure receiving waters are kept clean.
The Industrial Waste and Pollution Prevention (IWPP) section of MCES is the delegated Pretreatment Program authority for the seven-county service area. We regulate industrial wastewater discharges through a permitting system. Microbreweries and brewpubs are included in the nearly 900 industries that are regulated.
How your brewery must comply with the program
- Fulfill all permit requirements and conditions.
- Put in place and follow best management practices (PDF) for microbreweries.
- Enroll in the MCES Industrial Online Reporting System (IORS).
- Submit reports annually via IORS: How to submit your microbrewery annual report.
- Pay annual permit fees and charges as assessed.
Rates and fees associated with the program
Microbrewery Program information:
MCES rates and fees: Kristi.Goble@metc.state.mn.us
Industrial Waste & Pollution Prevention (IWPP) Office: IWPP@metc.state.mn.us
To receive important notifications regarding your MCES industrial discharge permit, please add the following emails to your address book: MCESIndustrialOnlineReporting@metc.state.mn.us