Tax Base Revitalization Account (TBRA)
Focus on building tax base and jobs
TBRA provides $5 million annually to investigate and clean up brownfields - contaminated land, ground water, or buildings - for redevelopment. TBRA provides key support for a wide range of projects, from affordable and market rate multi‐family housing to commercial and industrial redevelopment.
- Clean up contaminated sites in the 7‐county metropolitan region
- Increase communities’ local tax base
- Add or preserve living wage jobs
- Produce affordable housing
- Expand each community’s range of housing choices
- Develop compactly
- Efficiently use existing transit and sewer services
- Encourage use of existing parks or walking trails
- Support projects that are poised for redevelopment
A competitive application relies on a public‐private partnership between a city, county or local development authority and a private developer or land‐owner to complete a redevelopment. Typically programs at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED), and Hennepin/Ramsey County complement TBRA awards.
From 1996-2014, the Metropolitan Council awarded 393 pollution cleanup grants totaling over $105 million to projects in 45 cities and towns. New and completed projects are projected to net over $96 million increase in annual net tax capacity and more than 43,000 new and retained jobs.
2016 Funding Calendar
- May 2 - Spring Round applications due for TBRA Cleanup, Site Investigation and Pilot Programs
- July - Spring Round funding awarded
- November 1 - Fall Round applications due for TBRA Cleanup, Site Investigation and Pilot Programs
- January - Fall Round funding awarded
2016 Fall Grant Round Webinar
This webinar, hosted by the Minnesota Department of Employment and EWconomic Development provides information about local public financing programs that assist with the cost of cleaning up and redeveloping contaminated sites. WATCH THE WEBINAR. (a software download from WebEx is required to view the recording)
Apply for Grants
Apply for grants ONLINE via Webgrants