The 17-member Metropolitan Council includes a chair who serves at-large and 16 members who each represent a geographically defined Metropolitan Council district. Members must reside in the districts they represent. All members serve at the pleasure of the governor. The Metropolitan Council is organized by subject matter committees, which make recommendations to the full board.
By law, members of the Metropolitan Council must be appointed to reflect the various demographic, political, and other interests in the metropolitan area. Members must also be knowledgeable about urban and metropolitan affairs.
Council members are subject to Senate confirmation and must file personal financial disclosure forms. Members serving on the Metropolitan Council cannot hold certain other public offices including mayor, city council, city planning commissioner, and county board member.
Metropolitan Council members should expect to spend between 25 and 40 hours per month for committee meetings, preparation and briefings, participation in advisory committees and partner events, regular engagement with Council members’ district stakeholders, and attending district meetings and events. Every Council member is expected to:
- Attend semi-monthly Metropolitan Council meetings (currently the second and fourth Wednesday of each month)
- Attend semi-monthly Committee of the Whole meetings (currently the first and third Wednesday of each month)
- Serve on at least two Metropolitan Council committees (Environment, Transportation, Community Development and Management)
- Serve on working groups or other advisory bodies established by the Metropolitan Council
- Attend assigned advisory committee meetings
- Meet regularly with local government officials, members of the Legislature, and district constituents
- Attend stakeholder and Metropolitan Council events
- Respond to constituent inquiries
Council members are paid a stipend of $20,000 per year and are compensated for reasonable and necessary expenses. Council members are eligible to purchase Metropolitan Council benefits but must pay the full cost of the premium. Council members also receive a free, unlimited transit pass for their use during their term and support for training and learning opportunities.
How to apply
Apply on the Minnesota Secretary of State website. Application materials are due by June 12, 2023.